If you love layers, coat your pieces with Duncan Cover Coat Opaque Underglazes! Applied directly to greenware, soft-fired bisque or bisque, these underglazes provide solid coverage over even the darkest colours and are perfect for airbrushing and brushwork.
Cover Coat Underglazes fire to an opaque, porous matte finish and are safe for food when a Duncan food-safe clear glaze is applied over them. For custom colours, tint them with other Cover Coat colours or Duncan® E-Z Stroke Translucent Underglazes.
Firing range is cone 06 to cone 6 but refer to Mid Range Performance Index below for expected firing results.
- Apply 3 coats to greenware, soft-fired bisque or cone 04 bisque.
- Fire to shelf cone 04 to permanently adhere Cover Coats to ware.
- Apply clear glaze if desired and fire to shelf cone 06.
- Clean up with water.
- Cover Coat colours may be tinted using EZ Strokes or other Cover Coat colours to create unique custom hues.
- To create carved designs, a.k.a. sgraffito, gently scratch through the applied colour to reveal the colour or the clay body beneath it.
- Painting with Cover Coat Underglazes is similar to painting with acrylic paints and is a great fired alternative for a tole and decorative painter. Colours are opaque and generally one colour covers the one beneath it. They must be fired to ensure maturation and stability.
- Clear glazes over all shows the truest colours.
- Cover Coat Underglazes are perfect for airbrushing and brushwork.
- Great for layering because they dry quickly and can be painted over without lifting the colours underneath.