Kiln wash is a protective coating applied to the top surface of the shelves. This coating provides a layer of protection against glaze from adhering to the kiln shelf.
Shake or stir well. Thin with water if needed. Prior to applying, wipe the kiln shelf with a damp sponge to remove dust. Brush two to three uniform coats to kiln shelf, allowing Kiln Wash to semi-dry between coats. Not recommend for use with conventionally formulated kiln washes. Remove conventionally formulated kiln washes prior to application of Mayco Kiln Wash.
Food Safety: Kiln Wash is AP Certified Non-Toxic, Food Safe and Dinnerware Safe when used according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Mayco Kiln Wash offers superior performance for oxidation, reduction, and specialty kiln firings; ranging from cone 018 to cone 13 temperatures.
- Mayco Kiln Wash is easy to apply and flows smoothly over the kiln shelf. It will not crack or peel when properly applied according to directions.
- Fire shelves with bone-dry greenware in a bisque firing to mature the kiln wash. Apply it to other kiln furniture and stilts to avoid glaze fusing to the surface.
- Apply Mayco Kiln Wash to both sides of a kiln shelf and flip on alternate firings.
- Can be used on posts for wood, soda and salt firings.